Today we are continuing our two-day spotlight on Rae Rivers with our Finding Fiction Friday interview! Rae has burst onto the scene with her "Keepers" series published by Harper Impulse. First, a brief self-introduction ...
I’m an avid reader and writer with a passion for writing romance novels. I live in Cape
Town, South Africa, with my gorgeous husband, two beautiful children and a zoo of house pets.
Besides writing, I love family time, the outdoors, travelling, watching TV series, reading and
I’ve been writing since the age of 12 years old but only started thinking of publication about a year or two ago. I wrote the first book in my series, The Keepers: Archer and submitted it to HarperCollins. Fortunately, they were very enthusiastic about my vision for the series and offered me a four book deal. It’s been a whirl of excitement and hard work since then.
Tell us one thing about yourself that you think might surprise us.
I’m just an ordinary girl, a mom and wife … with a huge imagination!
Cat Got Your Tongue? was my first book signed with a publisher so it holds a very special place in my heart. I loved the premise of this book as well as the couple – they’re so sexy together! Art heists, cat burglars, billionaires and bodyguards. It was so much fun to write.
Now, yesterday (yes yesterday!) saw the release of the second book of your paranormal romance series “The Keepers”. Give us the scoop on the series and the characters.
The series consists of a powerful witch protected by three warrior brothers, her Keepers. They are her allies, her friends, and her fierce protectors and together, they fight to maintain the balance of nature. Three brothers, three stories, lots of action and hot romance!
Since you have written both, do you see a big difference between writing contemporary and paranormal romances? Does one or the other come easier to you, or is it just whichever story grabs you?
It’s definitely what grabs me. Before my Keepers series, I’d only ever written contemporary romances so it was a surprise when out of the blue, a witch came to mind with a story to tell – and she came with three handsome brothers! (How could I resist?) Fortunately, I pushed my comfort zone into the paranormal and since then, I’m addicted to the genre. I love the flexibility of creating my own mythology and world that’s real to my characters. It’s been so much fun!
What about being published with HarperImpulse and the book industry in general has most surprised you?
That writing takes up the least amount of my time – and it’s my favourite part of being an author! There is so much else involved with being a published author – marketing, social media, research, admin … the list is endless! But my goal for the rest of this year is to focus more on writing.
Is there someone you can point to as being your biggest encouragement in moving forward with writing?
Most certainly my husband and my best friend. Their encouragement and belief in my writing dream has been priceless to me. Since being published, I’ve had an army of authors, family and friends, my editors, bloggers and readers who encourage me in different ways. I’m so grateful to everyone for their support.
Of course you have the third book in the Keepers trilogy, but what else have you been tossing around for the future?
I have a few ideas for after I’ve completed the final book of the series, The Keepers: Ethan. I’m still processing the direction I should go with this but there will definitely be more of the hot romance, action and drama that readers have enjoyed from my books so far. Watch this space!
To close the interview, I have ten questions for you, plus one. Here they go!
- What is your favorite word? Lovely and wow.
- What is your least favorite word? No.
- What turns you on? I’m going to go with “what makes you happy?” for this question! I’d say … a massage!
- What turns you off? Laziness, mess
- What sound or noise do you love? Sound of my children laughing, the ocean, my hubby’s voice.
- What sound or noise do you hate? My children arguing, an unwatched TV blaring in the living room, my inconsiderate rooster that crows too early in the morning, and high-pitched noises – chaotic environments freak me out!
- What is your favorite curse word? Lol, for me or my characters?
- What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? I’d love to be able to sing and reach people through music but as singing is not my strongest attribute, I’ll stick to singing alone in the car and rather opt to reach people with my stories!
- What profession would you not like to do? Wrestling. Or anything involving spiders.
- If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates? Welcome!
- What question have you never been asked, that you wish someone would ask you? Would you mind signing my copy of your book? (A bit hard to do as my books aren’t in paperback yet but one day, hearing these words will make my day!)
Rae, thanks so much for spending time with us.
Thank you so much for having me on your blog – the questions have been so much fun!
Can you let us know where to follow you, and where we can go to purchase your books?
For more information about my books, or me, please visit:
The Keepers: Declan
“You lied to me, misled me, attacked me,” Declan murmured, dipping his head toward hers, “but
what we had three months ago wasn’t fake, was it?”
Kate's gaze faltered to his lips, heat pulsing between them. But she didn’t deny it.
Declan Bennett has zero tolerance for thieves. He and his brothers, the Keepers, are fiercely
protective of their witch, Sienna, and their privacy.
So when Kate Carrigan breaks into their estate, he'll be damned if he lets the little wildcat get
away with it – especially after she seduced him three months ago, leaving him buck-naked in a
New Orleans hotel. Declan wants payback – and some answers.
Before she was murdered, Kate's mother ingrained it in her not to trust anyone. Kate’s magical
powers make her a pawn in the war between good and evil, a war she’s always avoided. Declan
is everything she’s been taught to fear, even if she can’t forget the memory of his touch that
Trouble is brewing as the powers of evil regroup - bolder and hungrier than ever - and Kate is
forced to choose a side.
Hot romance, epic battles and action abound in Book 2 of The Keepers.