Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Sisterhood of the Traveling Blog Day 4 - Amy Kessler's Inspiration


"Patricia here one last time."  I look around furtively to see if Aaron has shown up to find his way in.  "I'd like to introduce you to another of my fellow "Evernight" anthology authors, the lovely Amy Kessler, who is going to talk about where she gets her inspiration.  And anything else that pops into her head.  So sit back and enjoy!

*******************************************************************

Amy's Inspiration

I have to say this is one of the hardest topics for me, so forgive me if this all sounds like rambles to you. I confessed to Johanna Rae about this, and we talked motivation and inspiration. (You can read her blog being hosted by Tracey.) They go hand in hand with her, and I guess for me they kind of do too, but it’s still hard for me to tell you why I put pen to paper, or fingers to keys. You’d have to be inside my mind in order to understand completely and its scary in there. So I thought I’d start off with what I do when I’m stuck.

First off, I’m a planner. I plan everything, the work doesn’t always go as planned, but it starts that way. This some times helps me from getting stuck. If I get stuck than I know something is wrong in the way I planned the story. I go over what I’ve written and normally find the next logical thing for the characters to do and then go on from there. If that doesn’t work, then I move on to the next step.

Character interviews. I take time out from writing the actual story to talk to the characters, interview them. I ask questions and answer them as the character. Some times this leads me into insights I didn’t know they had. If nothing comes of that, then at least I have something to refer back to later. See, still productive. If I’m still stuck, I’ll edit what I’ve previously written, or read over it hoping something will come to me. Something I didn’t see before.

The thing is, writing has become such a habit, that I can’t imagine not writing. If I don’t write, I might explode. There are too any voices and too many stories in my head to ignore. So other than ‘If you don’t hit word count, I’m turning off the internet’ threats from my husband, (What can I say, facebook, pinterest, and IMs distract me. Oh look something shiny!) just the plan need to write motivates me to do such.

Find me:
Twitter: @a_l_kessler

Evernight Vol II: 





******************************************************************************************************************

So you can make sure to catch the entire Sisterhood on their various blogs and pages, here are where you will find all the posts during their month-long tour (remember commenting on any of the Sisterhood blog posts earns you an entry for a free e-book, and each blog you join/follow means another entry):

Amy Kessler

Ashley Nemer

Patricia Laffoon
(right here!!!)

Johanna Rae

L. S. Broomfield

Sherrie Henry

Stacy Moran

Torie James

Tracey Steinbach

No comments:

Post a Comment