Friday, August 2, 2013

Finding Fiction Friday - Kat Yares


Today on Finding Fiction Friday, I am very pleased to present the wonderful Kat Yares - writer of horror and thrillers among other genre!  Please join me in welcoming the mistress of the mind game ... first a brief biographical introduction ...

Kat Yares has been writing fiction her entire adult life.  She is an author, screenwriter, indie movie maker and amateur photographer.  Her short fiction has appeared in numerous print publications and online.  She was first accepted into the Horror Writers Association in 2001 and remains a member today.  Her fiction is primarily in the horror/thriller genres.  Unlike many, she writes horror not to gross out or startle her readers, but to make them think.  Most of her stories are mind games and deal with man’s (or woman’s) inhumanity to man (or woman). 

So, Kat, what made you decide to try to become a published author?  How did you get started?

I’ve written fiction since I was a child.  It was a way I could lie and get away with it.  I wrote my first novel when I was eleven, and although it is now lost to the ages, I still love to write.  A short story I wrote in high school was published in the school paper, seeing my name in print made me want to earn my living with words.  My first paying gig though was to a confession magazine, I was able to stay home with my children by writing those morality tales.

We know what your bio says.  Tell us one thing about yourself that you think might surprise us.

Although I was raised in the south, I do not like most Southern foods, i.e., greens, cornbread and catfish, to name a few.

Do you remember what it was like, the feeling you had when your book was finally “out there”?

It was wonderful.  Although I had sold many short stories before my collection was released, it was really nice to know more people were reading my words and enjoying them.

Tell us a bit about your book “Beneath the Tor” and the follow-up, “The XIII”.

Beneath the Tor is a retelling of the New Testament story from the point of view of Mary Magdalene.  I’ve been told that it is reminiscent of Mists of Avalon as a fantasy set primarily in the Middle East (although it begins and ends in Avalon).

The XIII picks up the story 2000 years later with the descendants of the characters in Beneath the Tor.  It is more of a thriller, Illuminati style, and proves the old adage that absolute power corrupts absolutely.

You have an upcoming release about a serial killer.  Give us some insight into this story (I know, no spoilers!)

I do have a story in the works - The new story is called Dark Fantasies: The Profiler and I hope to make it a series over time.

Do you have a favorite character you’ve created?  What draws you to wrote about him or her?

My favorite character that I’ve written so far would be Macie Jones in Vengeance Is Mine.  I love strong women characters and Macie is exactly that - rising above and becoming much more than her environment wants to allow.

What do you have coming up next after your very next release?

Well…I currently have four books in progress.  So, it totally depends on which gets done first.  And that depends on many factors.  I’ve already mentioned Dark Fantasies, but there is also Lily of the Cotton (a Depression Era coming of age story), The Asylum (supernatural horror) and Party Lines (contemporary fiction).  As you can see, I’m all over the place, genre wise.

What about being published and the book industry in general has most surprised you?

How wonderfully supportive Indie authors are of each other.  It seems we are (for the most part) more than willing to help each other succeed.

What other things besides writing do you have going on that keep you busy?

I read a lot and write reviews for Hellnotes.com.  Plus, when time and money allow, my husband and I make short movies and as an amateur photographer, I’m still attempting to capture a perfect picture of a hummingbird. 

To close the interview, I have ten questions for you, plus one.  Here they go!

  1. What is your favorite word?  Moist
  2. What is your least favorite word?  Stupid
  3. What turns you on?  Honesty
  4. What turns you off?  Lies
  5. What sound or noise do you love?  Silence
  6. What sound or noise do you hate?  A slamming door
  7. What is your favorite curse word?  Any of them, in the proper context
  8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?  None,  writer suits me fine
  9. What profession would you not like to do?  Anything to do with snakes
  10. If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates?  Howdy!
  11. What question have you never been asked, that you wish someone would ask you?   Why have you chosen to live so far in the backwoods, away from normal civilization?

Kat, thanks so much for spending time with us.  Can you let us know where to follow you, and where we can go to purchase your work?

Links:
Webpage (blog):  www.katyares.com




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Patricia and I can also be followed here:    Facebook              Twitter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rudy and Trish are the main characters in our two published short stories in the "Evernight: Romance in a World of Darkness" anthologies.  You can get to know them as well as get 23 other great stories!  Here's where you can find them:

Evernight Volume 1:   Amazon       XoXo          ARe

Evernight Volume 2:   Amazon       XoXo          ARe

No comments:

Post a Comment