Yay, today we have the wonderful Valerie Douglas here to share with us! Valerie please introduce yourself ...
I’ve written 20+ novels of bunch of genres, I’m happily married and companion to two dogs, four cats and an African clawed frog named Hopper.
Valerie, tell us what made you decide to try to become a published author? How did you get started?
I always wanted to be an author, a published author was just a perk *grins*
We know what your bio says. Tell us one thing about yourself that you think might surprise us.
I’m one of a set of identical twins.
Do you remember what it was like, the feeling you had when your first book was finally “out there”?
A mix of absolute joy and dismay. My editor and I didn’t always see eye to eye. *laughing* We had some epic…discussions.
Your latest work is the horror novel “Shades”. Tell us a bit about this book and how it came to be.
I had this recurring nightmare that forms one of the scenes and the boss in the book was based on a real person.
You’ve written in several different genres. Is there one that you find more challenging than others?
Horror. I’d sworn I’d never write it…and then I decided to write that story about the nightmare!
If you could actually physically meet any of your characters, who would it be and why?
Elon, Colath, Jareth and Jalila, from The Coming Storm because they’d be interesting to hang around a fire with, and that world would be fascinating.
What do you have coming up in your “work in progress” folder?
Sequels to Blood Bound, Nike’s Wings, The Coming Storm, Song of the Fairy Queen and Heart of the Gods. The last three would be fun.
What about being published and the book industry in general has most surprised you?
How much marketing you have to do.
What other things besides writing do you have going on that keep you busy?
Read, read, and read some more – I finally have time to read. Surf the ‘net (I love research) Play with my cats and dogs.
To close the interview, I have ten questions for you, plus one. Here they go!
- What is your favorite word? Onomatopoeia
- What is your least favorite word? No
- What turns you on? *laughing* You have read my V. J. Devereaux books, right? I love someone who takes their time.
- What turns you off? Disrespect
- What sound or noise do you love? The sound of rain, or a train horn
- What sound or noise do you hate? Anything really loud
- What is your favorite curse word? Fuck
- What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Hey, it took me long enough to get here!
- What profession would you not like to do? Hotel housekeeper – speaking from experience. You wouldn’t believe what people will do.
- If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates? I told you to slow down!
- What question have you never been asked, that you wish someone would ask you? Would you be interested in making a movie about your book? Oh, hell yeah! (I already did the traditional publishing thing.)
Valerie, thanks so much for spending time with us. Can you let us know where to follow you, and where we can go to purchase your work?
Rudy and Trish are the main characters in our two published short stories in the "Evernight: Romance in a World of Darkness" anthologies. You can get to know them as well as get 23 other great stories! Here's where you can find them: